Welcome ~ Bienvenue ~ Willkommen ~ Bienvenido

Welcome to my blog. I will be writing the excitements, the lows and most probably the mundane events (to some) which will happen from now until the close of this blogging event.

A teacher of Modern Languages (French, German and now a little dabble into Spanish - whoop!), careering around the countries, cooking my way into food extremities and eating in a wannabe Nigella style-ee.

Incidentally - Advo Cat = cross between advocate and avocat, the latter = avocado in French, PLUS lawyer, PLUS my name's Cat. Combining all 3 elements into 1. Genius. (Well, not really, but it's quite nice.)



Cat Face

Cat Face

Friday, 9 April 2010

Fatness and Healthiness

What what what!?
I have been reading MANY books and articles about how to lose the dreaded pounds of excess weight which have crept up on me over these months of comfort eating.
HOWEVER, despite Harry, Gizzi and her pals, despite Sainsbury's magazine telling me I am a comfort eater and to actually cook with different fats apart from LARD I have decided to air my grievances about this sweeping assumption that comfort eaters ie those that value food as a treat are fat greasy non experimental pie eaters!
How dare 4 skinny bints tell me, without knowing me (and yes I did take this to heart which really is a little silly however I am offended so I rant) 'there are other fats apart from lard you know!' I KNOW THAT! OF COURSE I KNOW THAT. In fact I have never even cooked with lard.
The point is food is a comfort, yes, however it is also something I and these other poor misunderstood comfort eaters enjoy.
Like Nigella (a wannabe Nige as I am) I like to potter. Potter about the house, potter about the kitchen, just pottering. And cooking, chopping, preparing food and all that goes with cooking is relaxing, comforting.
So why not change the binge eating confusion and realise that cooking is not only about eating, it is taking pleasure in food. It is surely healthy to hold food in a certain esteem - it is afterall something which not everyone has access to, and most definitely not in the varieties that we are currently fortunate to have.
IF I choose after a hard day, a hard week, to come home, and relax, by pottering, chopping, sauteeing (posh for frying with a certain French tilt implied), roasting, ALL these pleasurable pastimes (sp?), that does not mean I am a pie eating glutton.
Surely the key to a healthy life, to a healthy diet is not NOT to focus on food, why not focus on food? It is the bad arsey food which should be avoided, FINE. I can cope with that. But to HAVE to focus on another obsession rather than food is silly. Silly silly silly. And I shan't do it. No I shan't.
"More fizzy pop Eliza?" "Why, I think I shall."

No comments:

Post a Comment